• I am currently a trainee in Miami, thanks to the ISC. My main interlocutor, Leslie, supported me through all the steps of the process, and helped me when I had issues. I achieved my goal and I just got approved for a visa extension, to extend my internship!

    Chloe H.
    Marketing & Communication Intern - Miami
  • The ISC has been the best way for me to find a paid internship in my field in the U.S! And the team is still available all along your internship to help you and support you! There is nothing else to say except THANK YOU! I recommend you the International Student Company!

    Yasese R.
    Public Relations Assistant - Fort Lauderdale
  • Leslie Costa (CEO) is very kind and tries her best to help the students!

    Thank you for your overall help and your quick answers!

    Jean-Marie D.
    Software Developer Intern - Los Angeles


– Be between the ages of 18 and 38

– Secure an internship or training program with an eligible host employer

*Intern Program: Be a student currently enrolled in a degree or professional certificate program in a college, university, or other post-secondary academic institution outside the U.S.

*Trainee Program: Hold a degree from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and at least one year of prior work experience in his or her occupational field outside the United States; or Five years of work experience outside the United States in the occupational field in which they are seeking training

Not sure if you meet our requirements? Please contact us.


Find more information about this exchange program, as well as some tips while you are in the U.S.
Read more


North America Office

+1 305 440 9553
Brickell Bayview Center | 80 SW 8th ST, Suite 2000 | MIAMI | FL 33130 | U.S.A.

Asia Pacific Office

+63 920 955 0695
Net Lima Center | 5th Avenue Cor. 26th, Suite 10/F | MANILA | PHILIPPINES

Europe Office

+336 64 50 26 70
10 Bis Rue Paul Roth | OSNY | 95520 | FRANCE


J-1 Intern/Trainee Program Information

To be eligible as an Intern you must meet the following requirements:

– You are a student currently enrolled in a degree or professional certificate program in a college, university, or other post-secondary academic institution outside the U.S.; or
– You have graduated from these institutions within 12 months of the internship start date in your specific academic field; and
– Your internship must be directly related to your field of studies.

To be eligible as a Trainee you must meet the following requirements:

– You hold a degree or professional certificate from a post-secondary academic institution, college, university or other post-secondary academic institution outside the U.S. and at least one year of related professional experience from outside the U.S.; or
– You have at least five years of related professional experience from outside the U.S.; and
– Your training programs must be related your occupational field, which you must be actively pursuing outside of the U.S.

For Hospitality: The maximum duration for both Intern and Trainee is 12 months.

For Business: Maximum of 12 months for an Intern and 18 months for a Trainee.

The rule of the Department of State requires your internship/training program to be related to your field of study / current occupational field.

Note For Hospitality: Sponsor Organizations do not permit Business-only (Finance, Accounting, etc.) programs in hotels, resorts, inns, or restaurants.

You may still apply for your J-1 Visa at a U.S. Embassy outside the U.S. and outside your home country. However, we do not encourage visa applications outside your home country as this may reduce your chances of securing a J-1 Visa. We advise our candidates to make every effort to apply in their home country.

J-1 Visa Terminologies and Documents

Only U.S. Department of State designated J-1 Visa Sponsor Organizations are authorized to issue and send you your DS Forms. These are the forms that allow you to be an intern/trainee in the U.S.

Sponsors help ensure that your internship/training program:
(1) matches your education and/or experience;
(2) contributes to the acquisition of skills, knowledge, and culture;
(3) qualifies for sponsorship under the J-1 Visa;
(4) follows the U.S. Department of State regulations and program rules;
(5) occurs at an appropriate and vetted host company;
(6) is regularly monitored and supervised;
(7) has all contracts or agreements in place between you, the host company, and the sponsor.

Sponsors also provide you with important guidance, problem solving, and orientation materials.

The DS-2019 Form also called as the “Certificate of Eligibility” is the document that allows you to apply for the J-1 Visa as an Intern or Trainee in the U.S. It is issued to you by a U.S. Department of State designated Sponsor Organization.
The DS-2019 Form is unique to you and identifies you in SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System).

The DS-7002 Form is also called the “Training/Internship Placement Plan”. This is the document that contains the goals and training program of the intern/trainee.
This document must be signed by the Supervisor and the intern/trainee prior to the issuance of the DS-2019.

Internship & Traineeship Placement

The internships are not guaranteed and will depend on your profile, the company’s feedback of your application, and your performance during the interview.

This stipend rate will depend on the position, your profile, and the company.

For Hospitality: $10 to $16 per hour

For Business: $1,000 to $2,000 per month

Yes, you will be given the freedom to decide on whether to accept or decline an offer.

However, we would appreciate it if you can send us your justified reasons for declining an offer.

We work on an average of 1 to 4 months in looking for a suitable opportunity for you. It could be shorter or longer than that, depending on your profile and the available positions.

After securing an internship, the J-1 visa administrative procedure takes an average of 4 to 6 weeks.

For Hospitality: This will depend if all of you will be selected by the same company.

For Business: It will depend on the available positions in the company. Note that companies usually hire 1-2 business interns per intake.

Host Company

For Hospitality: We work with 4 and 5 Star and Luxury Full-Service Hotels, Resorts, and Restaurants.

For Business: We mainly work with a variety of companies from different industries from startups to large companies.
We mostly work with startups and small-to-medium enterprises as we have seen that the level of training provided by these companies is more comprehensive.

Although we work with companies in U.S. nationwide, most of our partners are located in Miami, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York.

Based on the validity of reasons for your request to change your Host Company, we will be able to assist you with the transfer free-of-charge, but is subject to the transfer fees of the U.S. designated Sponsor.

If the company closes for some reason and or if the company decides to terminate you without clear justifications, the Sponsor will be giving you 30 days to remain in the U.S. to look for a new company.
We would be able to assist you with the transfer but the replacement doesn’t guarantee a success as you will have to go through the interview / recruitment process with the potential new company who would have the decision if they would like to hire you.

Fees & Expenses

The SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) is payable to the Department of Homeland Security. It is a web-based system that tracks and monitors non-immigrant students and exchange visitors.

Per the Department of State’s rules and regulations governing the J-1 Exchange Visitor program, you must carry an Accident and Sickness Insurance for the whole duration of your program, which is already included in your Full Program Fees.

Nonetheless, you are free to purchase any additional insurance that you might deemed useful for personal reasons.

The Full Program Fees are only due once you have secured your internship with our partner host company.

Unfortunately, we only accept straight payments at this time.

The main purpose of the J-1 program is for cultural exchange and professional exposure to the U.S. business standards and is not meant to serve as a full time job.

Covering your expenses will depend on the way you budget your expenses and lifestyle needs.

We would recommend if you could prepare in advance your personal savings or some form of support from your family in order to cover your program fees, visa, flights, and first few weeks of stay in the U.S.

Depending on your lifestyle and budget, your monthly stipend should be able to cover your basic expenses.

Travel Plans

Yes, you will be allowed to travel across the U.S.

Yes. Although please make sure to check your visa expiration date.

You will not be allowed to enter the U.S. with an expired visa in your passport, even if you have a valid DS-2019 that says your training program or internship has not ended.

If your visa will expire while you are traveling outside of the U.S. and you plan to re-enter the U.S. to continue your training program, you must apply for a new J-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate in a country where you are a resident.

Program Regulations

Yes, you may extend your program in the U.S. only if your program is currently less than the maximum duration allowed and you apply within the designated timeframe.

Yes, you may apply for a J-2 visa for either your spouse and/or your children only. The J-2 visa is subject to corresponding fees.

It is strictly prohibited for J-1 visa participants to engage in an employment aside from your listed Host Company. Violation of this rule could be subject to your immediate termination in the J-1 program.

After the end of your program, you are allowed to remain in the U.S. for 30 days for travel and leisure purposes. You are expected to return to your home country right after the given grace period.